DIRAJ STORY GRANT CHALLENGE
The Disaster Risk Reduction Network of Africa Journalists (DIRAJ) brings together journalists and communicators in Africa interested in exchanging news, tools and practices from a disaster risk reduction perspective to build a culture of prevention rather than just a culture of reaction.
Working together with the United Nations Agency on Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR), the African Union Disaster Risk Reduction Unit, DRR Focal Points in ECCAS, SADC, ECOWAS and EAC, DIRAJ;
1) Supports reporters through news exchange activities, webinars, seminars and other learning and training tools to strengthen the quality, reach and viability of their disaster reporting
2) Advances public understanding of the importance of prevention measures and policies through more in-depth DRR reporting and storytelling before, during, and after disasters occur
3) Informs and educates communities at risk and helps build a more resilient Africa.
With funding from the United Nations Agency on Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR), DIRAJ is inviting journalists, news correspondents, freelance reporters, and multimedia content producers to submit story pitches to be eligible for grants of up to USD1,500. The pitches are open for the intended production of broadcast-ready feature stories, short documentaries, investigative stories, or compelling interview packages on any aspects related to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR in Africa in connection with post covid recovery interventions at the community, national, regional or Pan African level.
Grant Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted by 1700hours (GMT) on 5th February 2022.
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach concept/pitch of not more than 500 words of your broadcast story idea indicating the problem, the justification for producing the story, and the media house your story will be published.
- Attach your CV
- Attach samples/links of past stories undertaken in relation to any aspects of disaster risk reduction, prevention, or post-recovery.
- Attach recommendation letter from an editor and commitment that once produced, the story will air/ get published.
- Attach Editors contacts- email address and phone address. Send your entry in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.